Motorists are advised to expect some delays and diversions during two of the key events over that time Awakening of the Walls and the parade and fireworks display.
In the interest of safety, the following roads will be closed to traffic or have traffic restrictions in place for the event:
Awakening of the Walls 28th – 30th October
- Temporary restrictions at Magazine Street, Butcher Street, Bishop Street within, Society Street, London Street, Pump Street, Artillery Street on 28th, 29th & 30th October 2018 between the hours of 5pm and 10pm.
- Bishop Street car park will have a partial car park closure in place, however during the Awakening the Walls times 5.30pm – 10pm exiting the Car will be restricted and controlled by dedicated steward. Exiting the Carpark will be via the top end of the car park.
- Society Street car park will be closed from 28th – 30th
Carnival Parade and Fireworks Display 31st October 2018
- Lane closures will be introduced along the Strand Road and Foyle Embankment in advance of the parade. The Strand Road lane closure, on the city bound approach to Water Street will be operational from 6.30pm until approximately 8.45pm
- Strand Road, Harbour Square, Queens Quay, Whittaker Street and the Foyle Embankment, between Water Street and the City Hotel, will be closed to traffic for varying lengths of time during the evening events, between 6.30pm and 8.45pm. Alternative diversion routes will be available during these times.
Please note that all times are approximate and that road closures and diversions will be kept to the minimum length necessary to ensure safety.
Please use the following Car parks during the event:
Cityside Car Parks:
- Foyleside Shopping Centre – open until 11.30pm 29th – 31st ( last entry 9pm)
- Quayside Shopping Centre – open until 11pm 29th – 31st
- Foyle Road
- Magee Campus (Lawrence Hill), Free after 7pm, daily rates apply at other times
- Strand Road 29th – 30th ( closed on 31st Oct for accessible parking)
- NWRC – 31st Oct 5pm – 10pm
- Victoria Market 29th – 30th ( closed on 31st)
- Society Street ( closed on 28th – 30th)
- Bishop Street ( * closed on 28th – 30th)
- Carlisle Road
- William Street
Waterside Car Parks:
Alfred Street, Bond’s Hill, Distillery Brae, Simpsons Brae, Spencer Road Car Park and Waterside Health Centre and Oakgrove Primary School.
Motorists are advised that there are likely to be delays when exiting some car parks during the parade and after the fireworks display.
Car Park Closures
28th October – 1st November Foyle Street Car Park – Full Closure
28th – 30th October Bishop Street Car Park – Full Closure 5pm – 10pm
28th – 30th October Society Street Car Park – Full Closure (disabled parking)
31st October Strand Road Car Park – Full Closure (disabled parking)
31st October Queens Quay Car Park – Full Closure
Full list of Car parks are available on www.parkopedia.co.uk
Drivers are reminded that normal on street parking restrictions will be in place and that they should avoid parking anywhere they may be blocking entrances to residences or businesses or where they may be obstructing emergency access. In addition to this the car parks at Queens Quay and Foyle Street will be closed on Tuesday 31st October. Strand Road car park will be an accessible car park only.
No parking will be permitted along Baronet Street, Fletcher Avenue, Water Street and on the left hand side of St Columb’s Road.
Vehicles stopping to drop off passengers are advised to park in a safe location and to avoid the immediate vicinity of Queen’s Quay and the Limavady Road / St Columb’s Road Junction in order to minimise traffic congestion.
A dedicated drop of zones will be located on Whittaker Street all day from 28th – 31st October and at the Diamond from 28th – 30th October from 6pm and 8.30pm for Awakening the Walls.
Please note the Peace Bridge will be closed from 7.15 pm until 8.45pm.
We thank you for your continued support for Council events and hope this event brings you good business opportunities. We ask you for your co-operation again this year and apologies for any inconvenience caused.